Monday, September 24, 2007

Things I've learned, recently

(1) No matter how infrequently you hear from your deployed spouse, there's always someone who's heard from their own spouse even less. And, those spouses with husbands who are able to call 4 times a day - and then complain? Yes, I don't like them very much.

(2) When parents and friends ask you for "suggestions" of what to send to the deployed Soldier downrange, be prepared for them to send EVERY.SINGLE.THING. Multiple times. Because, you know, you sent the list to several different people.

(3) It's really hard to share phone calls and online time with the mother-in-law or the best friend - but I try really hard not to complain about it. I understand they need to hear him, too (and he needs to hear them). But sometimes, I want to be selfish about it.

(4) When your uncle tells you he's been on a business trip for a week, and that it was "LONG" - sometimes the proper response really is: "My husband's on a 15 month 'business trip.' Did you have to carry a gun to the bathroom, or worry about bombs on the side of the road on your trip? Don't tell me a week is long."

(5) That the little "knock" sound that comes from Yahoo! Messenger "friends" coming online is one of the most welcome sounds in the world - because even if it's not my husband, it is someone who most probably isn't going to piss me off with comments they don't intend on being mean, but usually turn out being that way.

(6) And as wonderful as those "Soldier Prayer" forwards and such are... a nice 2 sentence email will do so much more for me than the "forward this to 15 people to show your support for the troops!"

4 Comments:

At 3:19 AM, Blogger The Teacup Cottage said...

Hey Sweetie! I'm so there with you. I try to take it in stride but sometimes I want to rip the head off of my puppy's stuffed animals. Just when I think it's getting calm again, we gear up for another one. Not even a year home ... (sigh) ... I'll just eat some chocolate, hop on the treadmill and "deal" with it as it comes ...

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger .... said...

I found you trough Sarah at Trying to Grok...

I can relate on many levels and in particular to one right now. I'm dealing with a sharing issue of my own today....

and I agree with Rose....you take it in st

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger .... said...

my keypad is not cooperating.....

that should have finished by saying you take it in stride and things do just work out....I overlook a lot too.
=)

 
At 3:12 AM, Blogger Heidi said...

Great post! I hope life in V is back to being the great community it used to be! You are thought about often. I could relate to every one of your points. Just tonight on the Biggest Loser they got to call a loved one and were boo-hooing about how hard it was to be a part for the few weeks. I want to throw things at the TV because they just don't know how hard it could be! Hang in there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home