Back to the journal
First of all, The Niece is still in the hospital. She's still breathing too quickly to be released.
Secondly, I've been remiss in my Journal entries for school. The end of the semester is quickly approaching!
Something that's been on my mind lately is the subject of Distance Education. I recently finished up a book about a "Game Plan" for distance learning. It covered topics from how to choose a distance education program all the way to paying for it & even succeeding in the class. One area I wish they'd concentrated on more was how to handle a group project.
We had a group project that is due tonight. I'm assuming I'm reading the schedule correctly when it says it has to be posted by 28 November. Well guess what? Apparently my group thinks I need to do all the work since they refuse to participate. I was doing the "presentation" portion of it, and they were supposed to come up with a combined total of 20 questions. As of 9:30pm on 28 November, I've received 8.
How do you handle it? How do you handle being literally on the other side of the world from the members of your class, and still manage to get a cohesive "group" project together? I'm frustrated, irritated, and at this point in time, very sleepy. I'm going to bed. And I can't wait to see the emails tomorrow about how I am the reason we're going to get a poor grade on this assignment.

2 Comments:
Doing a group project is tough enough without factoring in the additional challenges that come along with being a minimum of 6 hours ahead of the majority of your team. I know...I dealt with the same issues for almost two years. I know that by the time I'm posting a response it's in the wee hours for you. I hope it all worked out and your team project got completed.
Oh the joys of group projects. I despised them when I was overseas. No one seemed to understand that meeting on line at 10pm for them was the middle of the night for me or when I was leaving for work.
The last time a bad group experience occurred, I ended up using a model from online on how the report should look. I worked with one other person who was the only one of the 4 of team that was keeping in contact. We let the other guy turn in his project and we turned in ours. Luckily the teacher allowed for an individual turn in as well as a group turn in.
I left a brief note with mine stating that I could not allow my classmate to turn in a substandard project but that he never responded to us and left his phone off. He dropped the course a week later, apparently he got a low grade on it, we ended up with an A-.
Post a Comment
<< Home