Monday, September 25, 2006

Journal for Week 4

When I started this program, I had a long discussion with my husband over whether I really wanted to continue on with my education, and finish my “freaking Master’s degree” (that’s usually how it gets referred to in our house). By the time I finished all 3 of my associate’s (what can I say… I worked at a company that paid 100% tuition AND books at the local community college), and then my bachelor’s, I thought I was pretty much done with school. I had no desire to continue. Then, one of my friends talked me into starting the (first) Master’s program – and after I paid my enrollment fees and took out a million dollar student loan, he dropped out.

I guess I can’t say that I’m second-guessing my decision to finish out this chapter in my life. I don’t want to waste the credits that I earned before, but after finding out this week that only ½ of them will be accepted into the new program, it’s a little disheartening.

That, and the fact that I’m getting bored.

That’s probably not the best thing to admit 1 month into the semester. I’m used to operating on the quarter system, with new classes starting every 11 weeks. This is the first time since community college that I’ve been on the semester system. Unfortunately, it’s feeding the beast of procrastination that lives inside of me.

I’ve got this crazy training thing I have to go to for the next 3 days, and it’s more than 5 hours away by train. I’m going to be bringing my books. I’m going to be that dorky girl on the train, reading all about research studies and life transitions, instead of that dorky girl with the laptop and spiral bound notebooks and colored pens who is trying to find the answer to why those stupid databases won’t link correctly, or why people use Paradox as a program base for Very Important Programs.

I can’t let it go. I’ve been thinking about those transitions and life chapters and why I got to where I am right now. I guess I’m still having a hard time letting go of the life I left almost 2 years ago.

But at any rate, this week I read a very interesting article for one of my classes:

Watkins, B. & Tisdell, E. (2006). Negotiating the labyrinth from margin to center: Adult degree program administrators as program planners within higher education institutions. Adult Education Quarterly, 56(2), 134-159.

(oh, yeah… and I’m still having “issues” with APA format! hahaha)


Anyway, in this article, the authors did a study on negotiation of power and interest in adult education programs. After interviewing 8 program administrators, they summarized ways that these administrators pushed their own initiatives through. I had to giggle over their discussion of using friends and favors… but especially over using rank and position status. They urged creating a “bridge of interests” by finding common ground with other decision makers.

But what happens when you absolutely have to respect the rank and position status WHILE creating that bridge of interests? It’s very strange sometimes to work within the constraints of the military. Not respecting that rank and position is not an option, even when you’re really trying to create that bridge of interests.

Most of you reading this blog worked or are working within the military environment. How do you create that bridge without letting rank and position influence you?

6 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

In all of my dealings with the military, I find it favorable if you get to know the spouses of those you want to bridge with. It sounds kind of weird, but remember it is who-you-know, not what-you-know that can bring you results. For outside the military, I like to speak to people one on one, like an interview, to find common interests, before I go to the business side of things. It is getting to that personal comfort level that can build a professional bridge between two people.

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

I have no experience with this. I am going to send this to my sister who is a civilian employee of a part of CMU that is affiliated with the DoD. Most of her superiors are retired military, so there is the hierarchical mentality there.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Uck. That sounds like too much of a homework question. So I'm going to opt out of this one. :) Get back to me when I'm done with this semester! Lol..

Miss you

 
At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've been trying to develop "communities of practice" and "communities of interest" which has a different feel than bridges. By focusing on the community aspect, I think we still understand there can be rank involved, but that everyone comes to the table seeking knowledge. By using technology to support the infrastructure of such a community, you can potentially put rank aside (yikes! is that possible) because everyone becomes a somebody@community.com. Army Knowledge Online, I think tries to provide a ground, or at least a starting point for this sort of knowledge sharing without regard for rank. But, since I have never actually been in the military, and I have a slight disrespect for authority (tee hee!), I may be missing something.....

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Household6 said...

Wow well since I recruited civilians for military units and orgs I dealt with military every day. I drive the hubby nuts because I don't care about rank. I'm still polite but stars don't bother me or intimidate me. I just do my job and make sure that the folks I service are getting what they want while still following the laws set before them.

It can be frustrating though. I've had to explain to a few hospital commanders why I can't require additional experience or certificates for certain medical positions because DoD doesn't require them. That never thrills them but I work it so that the certificates are highly desired versus required. You still get the same people applying but at least the brass sees that you announced it to meet their criteria.

So I guess I respect rank in the manner that they are my client who needs me to fill a vacancy but other than that, rank doesn't mean a thing to me.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger DAT Baby Girl said...

This is late but for future might help you.

While I was a SGT I made friends with fellow NCO's & some of their wives, ADA is a small family in the military. My husband was an ADA commander. So they tried to tell me when I became a civilian I would have to end my friendships with the enlisted wives (who were close friends) because her husband was in my husbands battery.

My answer to the COL...kiss my ass...

but since you are the dependent it is best to forge your connections through the spouses. I worked DOD until we got out all together, but honestly the rank is for the soldier, many wives I had to remind dont wear their husbands rank. Also a level of maturity has to be there. My friend knew first hand that our friendship carried NO weight in the dealings of our husbands. Mine wrote hers up...we went out and had dinner.

As a civilian, dependent, just respect the rank structure just as your husband does, because believe me, spouses can make matters far worse for the military person they married.

(maybe it is just me and the fact it is 234am did that make sence up there)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home