it's all gone
Unaccompanied baggage picked up on Monday, household goods on Tuesday... and by 7pm Tuesday night, I was vacuuming a near-empty apartment. Enter my mom's complicated contraption of an air mattress and my old 19" tv that I returned to my parents when the Boy moved in... and that's what we've got.
Evidently, the news of my upcoming departure just leaked to the other large building whose network I take care of, so I am sure I will get an earful when I go down to check things out tomorrow. It bothers me sometimes about how people get weird about me leaving. I've been here almost 3 years, granted, but the guy that had this job before me had been here 20+. It's a whole different job now than what I started with, but isn't it always that way? You end up growing the areas that you excel in. I just happen to excel in the areas that were very beneficial to a lot of people here.
It's strange, already, living out of a suitcase. The shower seemed strange this morning, and it was just awful not having my duck rug to step out on. Yes, I know. You would think that if you were getting ready to leave the city you've lived in for almost 28 years that you'd be thinking of things other than the duck rug, but it's been funny for me that way. My mind jumps a million times a day, I have difficulty concentrating on things for more than a few minutes at a time. And I have the opportunity to ask any question I need to ask from my new friend, Sarah - and I can only think of one. Are there more questions? Of course. I just can't seem to verbalize them right now.
And for those of you counting: Piglet dressed as a cowboy (sometimes referred to as P-DAAC in our house) got the task of hanging out in the luggage. All the other ones got sent with household goods :)

1 Comments:
Oh, honey. Missing your duck rug and being fixated on its absence is completely normal when you make the first big move. I remember when I moved to Kentucky the first time, I was on the phone with my friend Jen after the movers had removed the furniture from my apartment. I told her that I was sitting in my bedroom, just me and the phone, sitting where the bed once was, and looking at the outlines in the carpeting left from my bed and my dresser like they were the shadow people in Hiroshima. She told me I was being too dramatic, but she wasn't moving out of her hometown for a place she had visited for a day.
Good gravy--you are braver than I. You haven't even been to Germany yet.
Post a Comment
<< Home