Security
Sometimes the Boy & I tease each other about the security coming on to our post. The security is so bizarre, and often inconsistent (sometimes when searched we've only been asked to open the trunk, other times every single door, and even the glove box). We have id cards. We have all the proper stickers and license plate and everything - but we are still subject to random searches. And the sign-in policy for visitors? Good grief. We attempted asking the guards (on three separate occassions), and each time we got a different answer. Because we had short-term guests, we were told that every single time we went off and then back on base, we had to have our car searched. I was very, very disappointed in this procedure. Hello, these are people that we are willingly bringing into, what is in essence, a small piece of the United States. And we have to have our car searched every single time we come back on? We have since found out that there is a policy that you can do some sort of "access roster" listing - but that's not my point.
My point is this. Three Germans cut a fence and walked on to the property at Stuttgart. And yet, driving home, we get treated as potential terrorists. Good grief. There are lots of potential security breaches around here. A short walk around the outside perimeter will show you that. And this is the response:
“We do a review of security procedures already on a regular basis,” Walz said. “I don’t think this one incident would prompt [additional reviews].
“We’re confident … that the [6th Area Support Group] and local police are doing what they can to prevent future incidents.”
Like it's no big deal. Because they were German anti-war protesters, is that supposed to make me feel better? What is the difference between people illegally entering the U.S. from Mexico? In my opinion, there is none.
They preach to us on AFN that we should practice OPSEC at all times. Good grief, in my travels I am paranoid the entire time! But, yes. Let's show all of the terrorists that to get into pretty much all of the military bases in Germany, all you need to do is cut a fence (don't drive!) and you're free and clear.
Of course, this is only one week after this article was printed, about how "Some experts fear Germany's large U.S. presence may entice terrorists."
Yep, that's great. Let's wave big flags and draw neon arrows on the road.... "HEEEEEEEY TERRORISTS!!!! COME CUT OUR FENCES AND COME ON IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

2 Comments:
Man, some of your sentiments completely echo my husband! He gets irritated all the time about how US plated vehicles get checked and non-US are just waved through.
And yes, there is not standard at all. I ended up getting irritated enough to tell a German Ponds Gaurd "Beiss Mich!" because he refused to tell me what he needed from me. I always ask because I go different installations. I went off on him berating him for attempting to have a power trip. I would do what ever security measure he asked but he needed to fill me in, I can't read minds.
But apparently I can cut a hole in the fence....
My husband's parents visted for a month, so we put them on the access roster so we wouldn't have to get car checked every time. Naturally, they changed the regulation and said that car checks are mandatory even with the access roster. So we spent a month in the right-hand lane. And then, as soon as the month was over, they announced that the policy had again changed and ID holders bringing in US passport holders no longer needed to be car checked. Sheesh, can we stick with one SOP?
Post a Comment
<< Home