No pennies, but we understand conjunctions
I don't know how many of you have served in Europe, but here are some things that I have found very amusing. For one thing, we have no pennies here on post. All prices are rounded up or down. For example, $1.78 becomes $1.80 and so forth. Apparently, it is too expensive to ship them over here. It had me completely baffled when we first arrived. Why all prices are adjusted to make that unnecassary I have not figured out yet. While we have no pennies, we do have "School House Rock" commercials. Any one over 25 should remember those entertaining, yet informative little jingles that explained adverbs and how a bill becomes a law. I watch TV now just to see them.
I did get to witness something very neat this week. I work in a health clinic. Among the patients receiving treatment were 2 Soldiers who recently returned from Iraq. They had served together in Iraq, but one was injured and had to be sent back to Germany. Before he left, he asked his friend (who would replace him as squad leader) for only one thing: to bring the whole squad home. He not only did this, but also earned a Bronze Star in the process. These two men sat together in the clinic, and the first Soldier made sure we all knew about how proud he was of his replacement.

2 Comments:
If you have no pennies, what do the school kids at the DoDD school use for fundraisers? Nickels?
Karen, I think the craziest ones are the dancing snuff can (while the guy is at the ball field), and the POA one where they are the singing hobos. I'm not sure we'll ever be able to look at "real" commercials the same ever again!! haha
Post a Comment
<< Home