Saturday, January 20, 2007

Slogging

One of my favorite classes from college was a Business Calculus class - I absolutely loved seeing "practical" applications that required calculus. It probably didn't hurt that I adored my professor, either. His name was Mr. Buck, and he was this cute little squishy man with a fuzzy beard & a Mr. Rogers sweater. I adored him, and I adored his teaching methods.

One of the pieces of advice I took from his class was just to slog (his word!) through the problem - get in, get messy, and then see where it gets you.

I'm having problems slogging through this final year of college. I don't want to get "messy" anymore! I'm just very ready to be done with it all.

I never planned on getting a Master's degree in the first place. One of my former co-workers talked me into it, and then at the last second, he decided not to continue after his Bachelor's. Even though I know it was obviously my decision (or not) to continue, I'd already gotten through the paperwork - and I figured that the next 2 years weren't going to do any further damage than what the previous 8 had done. (Yes, my Bachelor's took 8 years. I also have 3 Associate's degrees.)

Then came The Boy.

I quit school, I moved to Germany, and then realized that those 500 & 600 level credits actually expire. That sucked. So I found a new school, a new major, and a new excitement for finishing the degree. Taking 2 years off from school helped! But, apparently, that excitement only lasted 1 semester.

At this minute, I'm doing everything possible not to write a 1,000 word essay on what I feel a "theory" is, and if I feel it's the same thing as a "philosophy." I used to have no trouble at all sitting down and just cranking this stuff out. I'm still looking at the outline for my introductory paragraph that I started more than 2 weeks ago.

I have zeeeeeeeeerrrrrrooooooo motivation for this. But, the laundry's done, the house is clean, and my desk is organized :) If only I could write the freaking paper!! haha

3 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Blogger Robin said...

I've been having the same problem since we got back to the States. I went back to school while the hubby was in Iraq and was so motivated there for a while. Then we moved. I've had trouble getting motivated again, but I'm trying. I have a little less than a year left toward my Bachelor's, and I still haven't decided yet whether I want to go ahead and pursue my Master's.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger CaliValleyGirl said...

Oh man, that so reminds me of one day when I was studying for my final final final finals ever, and I was visiting my bf, and he came home and I proudly showed him how the sink was sparkling, the floor was mopped, the dinner prepared, etc...and he just looked at me, not even totally excited about my Little Miss Susie Homemaker qualities, and just deadpanned: "Man, I sure am going to miss when you will no longer have something to procrastinate from." Well, I am looking back now, and can barely see over all the piles of dirty laundry, scrapbooking materials everywhere, shoes, clothes strung every which way, but the closet...and I almost kind of wish I had something to procrastinate from again...almost. Keep on slogging!

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Household6 said...

Scoot over Girl because I am need to get into the boat. I have one class left, 1 and classes start next week. (I haven't registered)

I still can't decide if I should declare my second degree my MBA or just be done with it at my MSM.

Maybe we can trade classes this semester and it might be more fun?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home